Thursday 25 April 2013

CAMVLODVNVM - Colchester

The Romans occupied CAMLVODVNVM in year 43AD. The settlement became their first capital city. So I wanted to see if I could find more about the Romans besides of their old oyster beds. So I went to Colchester, on the River Colne.




On my way to Colchester Castle I found the first Augustinian monastery in England, St Botolph´s Priory, founded in 1103. The surviving walls date from the middle of the 12th century. Although the priory was closed in 1536, the church remained in use until the English Civil War of the 1640s.










































Colchester Castle has the largest stone tower (keep) ever built by the Normans. Its size is explained by its construction around the ruins of a Roman building, the temple of Claudius. The work on the keep began in 1076, and been completed around 1101. The red bricks and much of the stonework are recycled material quarried by the Normans from the ruins of Roman Colchester.




































At least I found some of the remains of the Roman Wall, and the Circus. :)




I


I am standing at the left side, by the way :)



It was getting late, and I had to get out of the town and it´s modern suburbs and find somewhere to sleep.
After having conquered the Abberton Reservoir south of Colchester, and still not found a pitch, I decided to stop and ask someone if I could put up my tent in their garden.
And it worked at first time! So lots of thanks go to Andy, Kate, Grant and Sue for the invitation and the nice evening :)



1 comment:

  1. Hey, what's this ... I've been in CAMVLODVNVM too, but nobody told us about this beautiful castle. THX at least for the nice pics.

    ReplyDelete