Tuesday 30 September 2014

Harvest

I never liked autumn because of the approaching times of darkness and cold. But this year is different, I am starting to like autumn, it´s the time to harvest the fruits of nature.  
On this picture are some Crabapples,  fruits from the Sloe, Sweet Chestnut, Beech Seeds, Rowan, Blackberries, and Hawthorn berries.



It is quite easy to separate the good from the ones with worms, just put them in a bucket of water, the bad ones are swimming on the surface :)
The seeds from the Beech are not easy to peel, but if you want to try this snack, you can fry the peeled nuts in oliveoil, and salt them. Below you can see the result :) They taste a bit like young walnuts.


Some of the fruits landed up in a jar together with Gin and sugar. I´ll try them for christmas :)



Beside of the stuff from above, I have been cooking loads of jam, chutneys and vegetables for the winter. I really enjoyed it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment