Thursday 24 October 2013

From Sandwich to Reculver

My tour from Sandwich to Reculver took me to the site of the first Roman landing in Britain. It was already closed.
I didn´t want to go through Margate and Ramsgate and went across Kent to its other coast side.
Kent seems to be an agricultural important area. Loads of fields are used for growing fruit and the whole area smelled like Cider :) 
In Reculver I once again faced the problem of travelling with old maps. The camp site on the map had closed since the 70ies. But I had luck and the owner of King Ethelbert Inn allowed me to sleep on a piece of his meadow :)






Elmstone is already mentioned in the Doomsday book as Aelvetone, later Ealmestane or Elmerstone. This old Norman church had the shortest tower I had seen since long :)







No comments:

Post a Comment