Tuesday 16 July 2013

From Chester to Hall's Bridge Narrows No 87

I had spent two days in Chester and two nights on the small, pretty and cheap camp site Birch Bank Farm, so it was time to go on travelling on the Shropshire Union Canal.
Early on Thursday the 11th I was prepared for leaving, the sun was shining, but the air was still cool and fresh.




After some few miles I could see the ruins of Beeston Castle and its railway station.

Beside of the station are Beeston Iron Lock and Stone Lock located. Both of them were built by Thomas Telford and seperated by only a short distance. These two locks are very different, one has a chamber made of stone whilst the other is of cast iron plates joined diagonally to overcome the problem of unstable sand below it.



Beside of the Bunbury Staircase Locks I for the first time saw stables where the Canal Company used to keep the horses for towing.

At Barbridge Junction the Middlewich Branch  connects the Trent & Mersey Canal with the Shropshire Union Canal via a small stetch of canal known as the Wardle Branch Canal.


At Hurleston Junction I could have went down the Llangollen Canal which is known for a very high aqueduct. I am glad I didn´t do that, the towpath is in very bad conditions I was told later.


It had become late afternoon as I arrived at the Nantwich Canal Centre. I bought me some methylated spirits for my stove and some milk in the chandlery and used my British Waterway key for taking a cold shower.

Nantwich Aqueduct

Nearby where the demolished Bridge 87 once must have been was a perfect place for pitching up the tent, even with bench and far away from villages and streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment